DataKind UK, a charity that helps the third sector to benefit from advances in data science, is partnering with Which?, the largest consumer body in the UK, to run a Data Dive in Bristol, focusing on elderly care. You can reserve your place on Eventbrite.
DataDives are weekend events that bring the data analytics community together with the non-profit community to tackle tough data problems in a short period of time. DataKind UK select three or four charity projects to work on over the weekend. You need to bring your own hardware and software, your data skills, and the belief that you can help change the world for the better!
The data dive will be held at;
Friday, Dec 4th
- 7:00 PM: Doors open
- 7:30 PM: Presentation from charities
- 8:30 – 10:00 PM: Networking mixer with snacks and drink
The evening will involve presentations from the invited charities followed immediately by a party to get everyone well mixed. This will give all of the participants a chance to meet each other and begin discussing projects with the organisation representatives and think about which project they want to spend the weekend working on.
Saturday, Dec 5th
- 9:00 AM: Doors open, sign-in and breakfast
- 10:00 AM: Brief review from Data Ambassadors, then data diving
- 1:00 PM: Lunch
- 7:00 PM: Dinner
- 10:00 PM: Everybody goes home for the night
DataDivers will choose which organisation they’d like to work with and form teams around their individual project questions. Each organisation will have Data Ambassadors assigned to them who will help advise on and manage the projects throughout the day.
Sunday, Dec 6th
- 9:00 AM: Doors open, breakfast
- 1:00 AM: Presentations from teams to social organisations
- 2:30 PM: Another successful DataDive in the books!
This is your chance to show the charities what you have done with their data. These presentations can be single or group work, but they can be no longer than 10 minutes each.
Other items of note for the weekend
- There is a Github repository setup to use for sharing code, data, and analyses during the event. The repository is located at: http://github.com/DataKind-UK.
- You can work with the organisation and data you feel most passionate about, so come Friday with an open mind and be ready to learn.
- You do not have to stay the entire weekend to participate in the event.
- You do not have to work with the same organisation for the whole weekend.
- You should bring your own laptop and come ready to use whatever data tools you like.
This event is kindly sponsored by Which?